I Don't Know Why: RESPONSE TO EQ 5

When I was in Philadelphia over spring break, I experienced my first subway ride. Truthfully I was observing my surroundings with a sense of danger, smelling the appalling scent of the station, and feeling the sense of un-safety the whole time. I just don't know why I was feeling unsafe though. I had my whole family with me, some of those whom have been catching the subway ever since they could remember. I had every right to feel safe, there wasn't any gunshots going off or anything, it was just me.
Even though I don't want to admit it, I think I was scared because of the people I was seeing board the subway. They had these I'm-tougher-than-you-and-I-can-beat-you-up-any-day-look on them, and even though that's probably not how their personalities really are, that's how I interpreted them to be. But why was I judging this people to be harmful beings?
I'm disappointed in myself that I was judging people I've never met, and from my assumptions, I was feeling un-safe around them. Me being judgemental was the big problem, and also the fact that I couldn't feel safe. Maybe the world needs to have more trust in it's people to be able to feel that comfort of being safe anywhere, and everywhere they go. Maybe there's to many crimes and horrifying events going on today, that makes people have a sense of distrust towards things they don't even know about. Even though me being judegemental was totally wrong, I just wish that there were more oppurtunities for people to feel safe with their lives.

No comments: