Appearances: RESPONSE TO EQ 3

Being a girl has it's difficult times, especially when the media is so focused on the 'perfect body' for women to have. When I first saw this episode of Friends, I thought it was hilarious. But when Fox played it's re-run of this episode, and then a few months later when TBS played a re-run, I started to think that this episode was just affecting many girls like many other commercials were. Appereance isn't everything, even though when I was ten years old, I thought it was.

The main reason girls want to be 'pretty,' is to impress that guy they like, or to fit in with the 'popular girls.' I admit, even I am judgemental sometimes but I hate that side of me that judges peoples' appearences. And I even care what people think of what I look like. But what really is the 'perfect body?' What am I trying to look like, so I can achieve my idea of a pretty girl? I'm trying to be as thin as those models in the Victoria Secret commercials, and as pretty as the girls in the Cover Girl commercials. And those type of girls, are exactly the type of boys want to date.

Commercials, TV shows, and adds can be found anywhere and are seriously affecting girls' outlooks on life. Media affects us in so many ways, and many Americans are oblivious to all of this. Something needs to be done to make this situation better, and maybe the world will just be a tiny bit better also.

No comments: